Sunday, November 20, 2011

From "Saw" to "Sew"

This summer I bought myself a little something special....a new table saw.



  Some women buy shoes, I buy tools....it's a bad habit.  Once I bought the new saw I realized I would need to clear space in my already crowded workshop for it.  I had my father's old table saw with wooden base.  It still worked but wasn't reliable and was as old as I am so it was time to get rid of it.  We unhooked the saw from the base (it was hardwired onto it) and set it out at the curb...it was gone in a couple of hours.  I was going to get rid of the wooden base too, since I couldn't think of how to reuse it, but couldn't quite bring myself to part with it.






It was in rough shape but had great storage and also some sentimental attachment since it was at this very table I started to make many projects when I was in high school (did I mention I didn't have much of a social life??).

I realized I could use it in my office/sewing workroom and it would be perfect there.  All I needed was some wood for the top.  As I was coming back home after my morning run in the rain, I spied some wood leaning against a tree on a neighbour's yard.  There, in the middle of the pile, was a slab of solid pine...honestly I have the best luck sometimes!  I knocked on the door just to make sure it was up for grabs and the owner gladly told me to take it, as well as some other pieces of wood too....I also scored a great office chair she was only too happy to be rid of.




What a score!!
 
I took the slab of wood home and set it on top of the wooden saw base.  It fit perfectly!!  I decided to paint it a nice blue grey colour to go with the top.  I really didn't need to do much other than clean it up, add a new face to the large center drawer and attach the new top.


Since the old table saw had been hardwired to the base, I had the old switch and plate.  I loved how it looked and decided to add it to the center drawer as an accent and an homage to the history of the piece.




I love it, and it stores all my sewing equipment perfectly!

Another successful curbside shopping experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment