Monday, March 5, 2012

Annie, the love is lost....

Finally at long last I finished the oval table I bought and refinished for our banquette area.  It's been a long haul and I have to say I am glad it's over and finished....and I really love the way it turned out.  But before I show the pics, lets review the process....

Step 1...find perfect table


Step 2...take apart table, cut down legs, sand off old stain


Step 3....finish with Tung Oil and reassemble
Step 4....realize it looks awful and you have to start again....

Step 5...sand again and finish using Dark Walnut stain and Tung Oil
Then realize the pew needs to be refinished also, and...you got it...sand, stain, Tung Oil

Step 6...paint the base white with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint....1 coat coverage, no priming necessary...
 ...and realize the awful red stain is bleeding through
 Step 7...write nasty/constructive criticism email to Annie Sloan Paints noting that 1 coat didn't cover and priming was indeed necessary

Step 8...go back to the basics and apply 2 coats of primer...this stuff covers everything!!

Step 9...apply 2 coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint...again...

Step 10....distress the finish by sanding in areas that would naturally show wear

Step 11...wax on, wax off, attach hardware...step back and admire

Step 12...pour large, well deserved glass of red and relax at the table

It was a very long and drawn out process...especially waiting 2 weeks for the paint to arrive only to realize that it didn't even do what it was supposed to.  The company did respond and told me that sometimes older woods will bleed/leach through.  Needless to say it was disappointing and frustrating to go from a 1 coat no priming project to a 5 coat with priming project.   Although I must say the added layers of paint do add to the vintage look of the table.  It was a little too perfect and smooth with just the 1 coat, so that's the silver lining in this scenerio.
But I am sorry to say Annie...I'm over you....

3 comments:

  1. The table turned out perfectly. I love it with the white base. I agree that Annie is not all it's cracked up to be. I found that I had to apply 3 coats of wax to get it to adhere properly:( For the price you pay for a litre it just isn't gonna happen if it's not perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but ..oh...chris.....it is spectacular. I want to have a glass of wine on it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Chris, the end result looks stunning. It was worth the 'no-compromise' effort!

    ReplyDelete