Wednesday, February 8, 2012

New vs Old

So I have been searching a lot lately for pieces of furniture...for work, for my house and for other people.   Along the way I have found lots of treasures...some unexpected and some rediscovered.  I have been to the usual suspects...Ikea, Homesense, CB2 and many other furniture shops.  I have also checked out kijiji, craigslist and antique/junk shops.

Which lead me to start wondering....when should you purchase new...and when is it worth it to buy a piece and refinish/rework it?

There are so many great new items out there...Ikea has always lead the way in style at an affordable price.  They are trend forward and put out some really great things.   For example...
Ikea Docksta Table...a Saarinen inspired piece

This table is a timeless design.  The style has been around since the 50's and is still considered current and chic.

But I think there is a time to consider investing either time or money into a few key pieces.  There is something to be said for quality design and craftsmanship and materials built to last.  These days too many furniture items are made of particle board or other wood substitutes.  They look great on the outside, but won't really stand up to years of wear and tear.
Think of real hardwood floors vs. laminate...they both look okay but after years the hardwood will wear better and to me just feels better....any nick or scrape in real solid wood adds character while in a laminate or veneer will show the difference in quality.

So...when is it worth it buy something and fix it up?  If you read my last post you know I am working on a table for our kitchen.  I knew it would be worth the effort and time if I could find a solid piece with great lines and solid construction.  If you find something that you love the look of....proportion, shape, contours etc..then it is worth the effort.  You can't ever change the proportions or bones of a piece so if you see something that you love the lines of and it is solidly made, it is worth either refinishing or fixing up.

I am still working on my table, but the fact that it is well built with good design will make the hours of work pay off in a piece that is good quality and finished exactly how I want it.


3 comments:

  1. I totally support the idea of buying well made solid pieces. I also like to throw in some cheap ikea stuff because my tastes change and that way I don't feel guilty. I just bought that Saarinen table off Craigslist and sprayed the base gold. Looking forward to seeing that kitchen table when it's finished:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I love the mix of the solid redone quality pieces with history and
    the sheer fun of a some new things thrown in here and there. I can't imagine one without the other :) Cannot wait to have a cup of coffee on your table new/old table, chris :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol...totally agree....Ikea and the other big box stores have some great pieces to add fun and interest to keep up with trends and to change a room up quickly!! And I loved that post about the Saarinen table you did!! Everyone else should check out Carol at The Design Pages as well!

    ReplyDelete